Microneedling with PRP/PRF
What is Microneedling with PRP/PRF?
Microneedling with PRP/PRF is a simple in-office procedure in which we use a microneedling device with precise and safe needle depth adjustment. The sterile, one time use needles puncture the skin and create micro channels which allow the body to produce collagen and cause hair to regrow. The Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is collected by our certified phlebotomist by drawing the clients blood and then the blood is spun in a centrifuge to harvest the white blood cells. These cells contain highly concentrated platelets that release growth factors, these growth factors have been shown to stimulate new hair growth and improve the health and texture of existing hair. PRP is applied over the scalp or injected into the scalp.
How long does a single procedure take?
The entire treatment including numbing the scalp, performing the procedure and applying PRP, or injecting PRP into the scalp takes approximately one hour for most patients.
How many treatments are needed?
For patients with thinning hair, we recommend a series of six treatments, performed one month apart for better results. After the sixth session, maintenance treatments every 12 months thereafter to maintain the results.
How soon will I see results from microneedling with PRP/PRF?
For most clients, within 3 weeks you will notice improvement in hair texture, thickness in the hair shaft and regrowth of hair. It typically takes three to six months from your initial treatment to see measurable results.
Pre & Post Care Instructions for PRP/PRF Hair Restoration
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naproxen, Aleve) for at least 3 days prior to treatment.
- Discontinue blood thinning medications or supplements (multivitamin, Vitamin E/A, Fish Oil, Aspirin) one week prior to treatment unless you are taking them for a medical condition. If so, please consult with your physician.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for three days prior to your PRP/PRF treatment.
- Increase fluid intake the day prior to the procedure and day of the procedure to ensure you are hydrated for the blood draw.
- Please eat a normal breakfast and /or lunch the day of your PRP treatment and try to eat a snack before you come.
- Wash your hair the morning of the PRP/PRF treatment.
- You may have your hair colored up to 3 days prior to treatment.
- You may experience some mild soreness and swelling to the scalp for a few days.
- It will take approximately 5 days to heal from microneedling. DO NOT pick the scabs.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, Naproxen) for 5-7 days after treatment as these will decrease the collagen response. You may take Tylenol 1000 mg every 8 hours as needed for pain.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for 3 days after treatment.
Please contact us at 210-737-3328 if you have any questions or concerns.